The Predicament of Thinning Hair
Men, A thinning crown or receding hairline is the most common pattern of hair loss. Hair loss occurs due to the presence of a derivative or by-product of testosterone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This hormone can shrink the hair follicles and has a greater effect in the mid-anterior scalp and temples. Some types of male hair loss are:
- Acute diffuse alopecia occurs from physical or psychological factors such as hormones, nutritional deficiencies or medications.
- Chronic Diffuse Alopecia can occur due to nutritional, metabolic or endocrine issues.
- Androgenetic Alopecia occurs due to genetic sensitivity to male hormones.
This rarely affects women.
Women, Hormonal fluctuations, ie during pregnancy, childbirth or use of some methods of contraception can result in hair thinning and loss. Also experienced by females: Traction alopecia this is caused by harsh hairstyles, for example, ponytails that are pulled too tight, cornrows, braiding or too frequent use of hair extensions. These actions pull at your hair over time but the loss can be helped if recognized and dealt with early on. Anagen effluvium this is due to chemotherapy. The matrix of the hair becomes broken and results in the hair shaft narrowing, eventually splintering.
You can minimize or even stop hair thinning or loss, if you identify the symptoms early enough, by using a variety of pharmacy or store treatments such as:
- A weekly use, leave-in scalp treatment made with essential oils such as lavender and orange will relax and unblock hair follicles to promote growth, regulate oil production and maintain cell repair.
- Daily vitamin supplement look for ones labeled especially for hair and/or nails and are fortified with Vitamin B3 (niacin), this protects the hair shaft, and antioxidants, to ward off damage from free radicals.
- Use a hair shampoo that has energizing/revitalizing/fortifying/ on the label. This type of hair shampoo will feed and protect your existing hair whilst eliminating oils that can block the follicles and prevent re-growth. Allow approximately 6-8 weeks before expecting to see any firm results. Like any treatment, results can vary and may to need to be used on a prolonged basis.
Methods to disguise thinning hair and hair loss: Perhaps it is time to think of some techniques to hide your hair loss if you are unhappy with your thinning hair. Whether you are a man or a woman losing hair due to heredity, stress, medication or a medical condition you can use these tips to help you cope.
Use a Specific Thickening Shampoo or Conditioner for your Hair Using a specific hair thickening shampoo and/or conditioner that is intended to conceal hair loss by ensuring the hair appears to be thicker and more voluminous. After shampooing and conditioning make sure that you brush your hair gently to halt the loss of more hair. Before combing or brushing your hair permit it to dry thoroughly.
Hair Styling Methods for Thicker Looking Hair Here are a few methods and styling products that can be used, if your head of hair is not as thick as it once was, to keep your hair looking its best. Blow drying thin hair for a fuller appearance. For thinning hair, try blow drying your hair after you have washed and conditioned it and then comb your hair in front all the way back. Use a light hairspray or a mousse to keep your style in place. The blow drying will prevent your hair from matting and make it appear thicker than it is. Opt for hair texturizing lotions and creams that will provide you with abundance and volume. Use a leave-in hair conditioner as they can make your hair appear fuller and more textured. Pass up on hair gels as they matter your hair together and exaggerate your hair loss.
Add Extensions to your Hair Extensions are an easy way for women and men with long thick hair to hide the fact that they are losing some. Use a salon for getting natural human hair added to your hair. This can last for several weeks to several months.
Blow-dry your Hair Consider blow drying if your hair is thinning on top to give it added texture and body and to give your head more coverage. Brush it into a quiff on top of your head by brushing it from the forehead up. Maintain the style with a little hairspray. If your hair is thinning throughout, this is a good way to make your hair look fuller.
Chaps -Getting a Buzz from your Hair The buzz cut is a way to disguise the fact that you are losing hair. Businessmen, sports stars and actors all use this as a classy, style that is easy to maintain. Groom your scalp daily and remove the hairs you have left for a clean, fresh look by using a wet-dry electric razor. If you’re disturbed about your hair loss or if your hair is starting to thin, make an appointment with your hairdresser or barber and request some advice on a fresh, new look. There are plenty of hairstyles to choose from that have you looking great.